What You Need to Know 101
- Age Requirement - 18 with a certified copy of the birth certificate as proof. If under the age of 18, notarized consent from a parent or legal guardian is required.
- Waiting Period - None
- License is Valid For - 60 days, statewide
- ID - Valid driver's license, military ID, state ID, passport
- Fee - $30 Marriage License, $2.50 Certified Marriage License per Copy
- Officiant - Ordained minister who can show proof of ordination; marriage commissioners, justices of the peace, and judges. ***PLEASE NOTE Officiants in the state of Virginia must be approved by the Clerk of the Circuit Court before the ceremony if chosen Officiant is out of state, most online ordinations are not accepted.
For the location of all Circuit Courts in Virginia click on the link:
Please Note: The information provided below is a courtesy, it is recommended that you contact the Circuit Court Clerk's office before obtaining your Marriage License to insure that you have all the necessary information and documentation needed prior to your arrival at the courthouse.
- It is also recommended to contact the courthouse before arrival to verify times for issuing Marriage Licenses, as some may require an appointment and others allow clients to walk in at any time during the courthouse's business hours Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 4 pm.
For information about venues and locations in Virginia click on the link